The latest poultry, pig and animal feed news, animal agribusiness trends and research from WATTAgNet.com.
Wednesday, June 3, 2015
5 new avian influenza cases in 3 states
Highly pathogenic H5N2 avian influenza has been confirmed in five additional layer and turkey flocks – two each in Minnesota and Iowa, and one in South Dakota. The new avian influenza cases were reported by the USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) on June 2.
The newly confirmed avian influenza cases are:
1. Moody County, South Dakota – Flock of 52,000 turkeys affected, second detection in the county
2. Renville County, Minnesota – Flock of 47,800 turkeys affected, sixth detection in the county
3. Brown County, Minnesota – Flock of 18,300 turkeys affected, third detection in the county
4. Sac County, Iowa – Flock of turkeys affected, number pending, seventh detection in the county
5. Wright County, Iowa – Flock of 434,800 chickens affected, fifth detection in the county
The affected premises have been quarantined and birds on the property will be depopulated to prevent the spread of the disease. Birds from the flock will not enter the food system.
The latest round of highly pathogenic avian influenza detections leaves nearly 45 million birds affected by the virus in 2015.